Cedar Point Role Play

  • Sliding Doors - *Author’s Note:* *Years ago there was a film called Sliding Doors that starred Gwyneth Paltrow about a woman whose life goes in different but parallel dire...

Saturday, March 12, 2016

Return to Cedar Point (2 of 3) - Beer and Beach




Adum Brate changed his clothes and got out of the station without really being seen. Probably because everyone would have been looking for a man in uniform. He killed time by buying some toothpaste, a toothbrush, comb ... all the thing needed for a last minute night away from home. But at around 5:45, he was at the door of the Black Hole and paying his entry fee. Moving in, he paused to scan the room and then sat at the bar.

Ryan Yamada saw Adum come in and smiled to himself. Not being noticed yet, he did a quick slap on the bar with his hand "Brate!" he teased and then thoroughly enjoyed his own joke.

Jack Douglas looked at the newcomer curiously and then when Ryan yelled out his last name he chuckled along. It had been awhile, but he recognized the guy "Hey there. What'll it be?"

Adum Brate noticed Ryan and can't help but chuckle to himself. "Yamada!" he slaps the bar as well. "See ... I made it. Socializing." he looked at Jack. "Hey man. Long time." he takes in a deep breath. "Give me a Coke." he orders.

Ryan Yamada nods approvingly "Good plan. I mean it's a bar they have humans in them. So you're staying the night then?"

Jack Douglas goes to get the coke with a nod.

Adum Brate chuckles. "I don't do a lot of going out so much anymore." he confesses. "I think the last time I was in a bar NOT arresting somebody was ... three or four years ago .. it was HERE as a matter of fact." he shrugs. "I'm not a whole lot of fun anymore." he watches Jack move off and the scans the bar again, finally satisfying himself he won't get arrested tonight.

Ryan Yamada looks kindly at Adum "Well maybe we can help you find some then. Tell me about Alexandra? You must do something besides work all the time.."

Jack Douglas drops off the coke and heads down to the other end of the bar to other patrons.

Adum Brate chuckles. "My men would appreciate that." he jokes and pauses. "That's right. All these years and you have never been to Alexandra." he laughs to himself. "It's a small town completely surrounded by water. Couple hundred residents. Actually ... its a really nice place. You should come by some weekend. I think the only thing we don't have that you do is the damn raccoons. Well, not as bad as you guys have em." he picks up his coke and takes a sip. "And I don't do much BUT work. I buried myself in it ... I guess thats why I wound up getting to be the Chief. That, and I'm the only one with an actual DEGREE in criminology." he shrugs. "But I am salaried so .. I work ... a lot."

Ryan Yamada nods "Do you love it? I mean my Dad loved running the restaurant so much it never felt like work. But now he's worked himself out of the game....gotta balance man."

Adum Brate takes another drink while he considers it. "I love being a cop, and I'm glad I am not chief at someplace like Vancouver, where I'd be in a chair getting swivel hips. But ... for a long time it was just .. working so I wouldn't think. Then it was just ... something for me to do. I don't have a social life. No girlfriend. So its work. Take a couple classes to keep myself up to date. But that's it."he looks at his friend. "I'm a hell of a lot better. Just ... " he shrugs, manning up and not admitting he's kind of lonely for one of the most important men on his island. "What have YOU been up to these last couple years while your lousy friend hides out on an island?"

Nick Callahan saunters in with a yawn and then smirks as the coat check girl does a double take. He pays the cover and teases her about it before heading in. Spotting Ryan and Adum, he beelines for them and slides onto a stool "Gentlemen." He looks down the bar and catches Jacks's eye "One rocket please JD."

Ryan Yamada was opening his mouth to answer Adum and then saw the Chief, his Chief and stammered "Sir...." before answering in what Adum might notice is a lot less detail "Little of this and that; running, just got transferred back here so it's all kind of in transition. "

Jack Douglas patted the lady patron on the hand and stooped at the beer fridge, clinking bottles and fishing one out "Evening Chief Callahan." he says putting it down.

Adum Brate nods at Nick as he walks in and settles himself. He notices that Ryan opened his mouth, then greeted Nick, then said something so vague as to be next to nothing. "This. That. Running. Sounds like MY life. Maybe a little more." he chuckles. He realizes Nick may be keeping Ryans mouth shut, but will let it go for now.

Nick Callahan takes a long swig after nodding at Jack "Evening." He looks down the bar at Adum and Ryan and then reaches into his pocket and pulls out a set of keys "Before I forget. I'm only popping in for one beer so you're not stuck with me too long. Don't let Seamus on the bed Brate. He'll try...but then we're back to square one if he thinks he can get up. Yamada, I think your transitioning to our PD just fine. Don't look so uptight kid."

Ryan Yamada was mid sip and stopped with his beer then paused off the edge of his lip. He looks down at the keys and then smiles awkwardly "Thanks Chief."

Adum Brate takes the keys and pockets them as he listens. "No laying down with dogs. Got it." He catches the look on Ryans face, and grins. He tosses the keys in the air, catches them and pockets them. "Take good care of him, Chief." he cautions. "I'm always on the lookout for a good cop ..."

Nick Callahan snickers "We'll keep Yamada. You want Nault? Angie's selling him to anyone with a quarter in their pocket..." He takes another long sip. You'd think he was trying to get through the beer efficiently at the rate he's going.

Ryan Yamada shakes his head and laughs "You could probably talk her down to a dime after his follow up at Chen's today. Ushi called the station three times to complain."

Adum Brate arches both brows. "Nault? The puppy? I .. think I'll pass on that one. We have one K-9 ... we don't need another." he looks at Ryan. "A dime? Ushi complains about a lot if memory serves." he can't help but grin. It was good to be out with old friends. He'd forgotten about that.

Nick Callahan sighs "Yep. Give her a topic....we have more police reports come in from her than anyone else in town. Barking dogs, loitering teenagers, her ex up on the hill...for breathing too much...me..." he laughs sardonically and downs all but a sip or two after that.

Ryan Yamada laughs at the Chief, nodding in agreement and then asks Adum "You have dogs in the APD?"

Adum Brate chuckles and nods. "Every town has one." he watches Nick damn near kill the beer and realizes he has a date and is probably more interested in her than hanging out with the boys. "Yup. Well dog .. singular. We're an island, and far enough away from Vancouver that we get a lot of people bringing a lot of things onto the island they shouldn't. Cocaine and heroin mostly up from Seattle or down from Vancouver. Daisy can sniff it all out."

Jack Douglas picks up the phone and dials at the other end of the bar and one side of a conversation can be overheard "Hey Meg are you at home? I know it's your day off but can you come buy with some ice...machine's fucked again....Come on...like 5 bags. K thanks."

Nick Callahan tips back his beer, finishing it "Yeah we get a bit of that here." He puts the bottle down and pulls out some change, counting out enough for the drink and a bit of a tip "Sorry, I've got an early morning. Adum, don't be a stranger eh? And good luck with Katz. Let me know how that turns out. Yamada, keep and eye on this guy. He's going to get all hopped up on caffeine." he teases as he walks off.

Ryan Yamada answers the leaving chief first "Yes Sir, Have a good night." He turns back to Adum "So a lot of narcotics?"

Adum Brate doesn't let himself react to the little bit of conversation he heard. But it would be nice to see another friendly face. Nick gets up and takes off as if the place is on fire and only he knows it. "Later Chief." he bids his farewell and watches him go out the door, then turns beak to Ryan. "Enough to keep things interesting." he cants his head. "Now .. back to the question you so lamely avoided answering..." he drinks a bit more of his coke. "What have YOU been up to these last couple years while your lousy friend hides out on an island?" and his look says he'd like the LONG answer this time.

Ryan Yamada looks self conscious "Sorry, he's my boss, and he's kind of scary sometimes. Glad he seems to like me though. I haven't been up to tons. That stint in West Van was frustrating. Lotta egos in that PD, stupid politics. Wasn't my scene. This is better. You know, my family stuff. "

Adum Brate nods. "Oh I undersand. I just ... didn' see i before now. Its how my own folks act when I walk in. Uniform or no uniform, I am Chief Brate now." he shrugs. "Well West Van .. its all ... money and politics ... even in the PD, I guess." it's where Alison is, if she's back with her parents, but he doesn't say that. Her parents never cared for him .. his collar was far too blue. "Yea, I an really sorry to hear about your Dad ... I should have known that. I really should have. Head too far up my own ass."

Megan Douglas trudges in carrying more bags of ice than should be reasonable and drops them on the end of the bar before shivering violently "Dad!" she calls out, not looking at who's sitting there yet.

Ryan Yamada shakes his head "Nah it's just stuff. He's better than he was but he can't work like a maniac." He sees Megan and smiles at her shivering.

Jack Douglas jogs over and starts taking the bags to the freezer in the back "Thanks doll."

Adum Brate watches the large bags of ice reveal themselves to be Megan. He smiles and looks at her. It's been a long time since hes seen her. Two years at least, of course. He is silent, waiting to be seen by her and ready to guage her reaction.

Megan Douglas blows on her fingers and looks casually over at the bar "Oh hey Ry..." she starts to say and then stops, her breath catching a bit before she stares at Adum in surprise "Holeeeeeeey shit.....Adum?" She laughs and exhales at the same time as she walks over and gives him a great big spontaneous hug, her hands grazing his neck while she momentarily forgets that they are still completely freezing cold.

Ryan Yamada: Ryan just watches, looking very amused.

Adum.Brate smiles. "Hey Meg...." and hen she hugs him. S great hug until her hands touch his skin. "Gennnn ... holy fuck women your hands are cold!" he laughs and grabs her hands in his to warm them a little bit. He looks up at her.



Megan Douglas smiles as he grabs her hands "Shit sorry....what the hell are you doing here? Why the hell didn't you text me?" she's kidding around with the last comment, mostly. She belatedly turns back to Ryan "Yeah hi Ryan...."

Ryan Yamada: Ryan waggles his fingers "Nobody's going to puke today. I promise."

Adum Brate keeps rubbing her hands, not really aware he's doing it. "I'm here for a prisoner pickup. I didn't text you because I have a new phone .. well .. new to you. So I sort of ... lost your number. I ... didn't bring anything from here with me when I left." he blinks and looks at Ryan. Puking? He blows it off. Holding both of her hands in one of his, he goes into his back pocket for his wallet and two cell phones, and realizes he needs BOTH hands, so he lets her hands go and fishes for one of his business cards. He reaches for a blue cell phone .. the other is basic black ... and sets his card on it and slides it over to her. "Put your number in my phone and I swear I will keep in touch."


Megan sighs a little when he lets go of her hands but takes the phone "Bet you say that to all the girls..." she begins to casually peek at his contacts and then a small smile comes across her face. There are no girls...she enters in her info and pockets the card.


Ryan laughs quietly and mutters "Smooth move ex-lax." at Adum about losing her number.


Adum scoffs.  "Oh yea."  his voice is thick with sarcasm.  "Every woman in Alexandra has my phone number ... well .. not this one.  But yea ..."  he glares at Ryan and raises a hand mock-threateningly.  "Shut up.  This is Megan, not some ...  "  he shrugs, not wanting to think about what he could call a girl he'd pick up in a bar ... that looked half as good as Megan did. 


Megan giggles "Floozy? Slut? Skank? Oh I'm all of those and a bag of chips baby." She teases as she hands his phone back."So you're just in town tonight?"


Ryan almost spits out his beer at Megan's joke after leaning back from the mock threat of Adum's hand.


Adum stiffens and shakes his head.  "Yea.  That."  he murmurs. "But .. "  he remembers Megans reputation when they were younger .. and even after they grew up and he returned from is military stint and joined the force. But he had never been with her.  Not like that.  She'd been one of his closer friends, male or female.  "Not to me."  he looks at her face.


Megan meets his gaze intensely and then looks a bit overwhelmed by the whole topic and changes it rapidly. She turns and gives Ryan a little shove "So how's Pukey McPukey? He hasn't shown his face in here since."


Ryan gives Megan a wary look "Well you were pretty pissed at us. Him mostly." He pauses to explain to Adum "Garrett got dumped rigtht before Valentines Day and had a bit of a bender." He looks between Megan and Adum now "He's trying to shake it off but cut the guy some slack. It sucks."


Adum is distracted by the story. He sighs.  "I can relate to that.  Heart ripped out?  Put in a food processor and finely minced?"  he picks up his coke.  "Garrett gets nothing but sympathy from me. No problem."  he kills the soda as if it was half filled with rum  He sets it down an takes a deep calming breath.  "He'll get over it.  Just a matter of time."


Megan's smile fades slightly and her eyes reflect a deep sadness as she watches Adum express all this. Hopefully before anyone notices, she recomposes herself and looks like she's shrugging it all off "Shit happens. Then you flush it." She hears her name called from the back room by her father and steps away "Scuse me boys." she says and she walks to the swinging door and pushes her way through.


Ryan had been nodding along with Adum and staying respectfully quiet. He chuckled a bit at Megan's toilet references and then looked back at his friend "It'll get better." he says kindly.


Adum nods at the toilet reference, and watches as Megan heads into the back.  He brings his eyes back to Ryan.  "I'm sorry to be such a bummer."  he apologizes.  "You and Megan were like my best friends.  I looked forward to hanging out with you guys more than seeing my Dad." he laughs a little.  "I needed this."


Ryan smiles and shakes his head, giving Adum a little pat on the back "We all have rough times man. Besides you're not hurling under the table and screaming my name across the bar. We've still got your back Adum."


Adum laughs a little.  "Well, I too it a lot further."  he scoffs.  "You'd think after two years I'd be over this shit, right?"  he shrugs.  "I thought I was.  I sort of am.  Still not sure I won't throw away my career if I ever see her again, but ...." he shakes his head.  "Garret really screamed your name across the bar?  Jesus .... "


Ryan cringes "Fuck it was embarrassing. He was so wasted. I thought Megan was going to kick both our asses." He looks more serious again "Sometimes people get under your skin fro a long time. There's no shame in it."


Adum laughs.  "Wow ..And to think I missed it."  he seriouses up too.  "Theres shame in being played for a fucking fol for YEARS."  he contradicts his friend.  "I didn't think about it until I started listening to the rumors ... and then really looking at my dear wife.  What was she doing with ME?  I mean ... to fuck ... sure ... but she's money.  My parents were comfortable but no where NEAR her family.   must have been drunk when I accepted her proposal."  he shakes his head in disbelief.


Ryan laughs "Were you?" He shakes his head after "Sorry...she knew what she was doing. Some people are just fucked up and evil. Hopefully it'll come back on her someday. The world is full of good women too." He head juts at the door Megan is on the other side of with a shrug.

Megan's sweet little laugh can be heard through the door as she talks with her father and another bar waitress and you can just see the top of her head.


Adam scoffs and sighs.  "No.  I dont even have THAT excuse.  I was just ... I don't know.  Blinded by a decent blow job?  Or just fucking stupid."  he follows Ryans gaze and can hear Megan's laughter.  "I couldn't.  Not with Megan.  Seriously?  Shes like my best female friend and I wouldn't wish me on my worst enemy."


Ryan is about to reply when Megan backs out of the door again with two cases of beer stacked one on top of the other. She puts them down but the beer fridge and the waitress follows her and begins taking them from the cases and filling the rows. Megan smiles at Ryan and Adum and walks over to lean on the bar in front of them "Watcha talking about fellas?" she says with a silly eyebrow wiggle.

Ryan's eyes pop a bit and he redirects into a long swig of his beer.


Adum swallows and shrugs.  "After the puke story?  Mostly just about how much I missed you two.  I'm really sorry I ... just up and ran like I did."  he smiles.  "Say!  Want to come to a bonfire?"  he asks them both, but he's looking at Megan.  "I'm having one in my back yard as soon as possible.  Seems there were some boxes Alison didn't take with her when she bailed and I told the Chief to put them in my car.  I'm going to burn it ALL."  he looks between them.  "Give you a chance to see Alexandra."


Ryan laughs "Yeah sure. If I can get the time when you're doing it."

Megan beams. Burning stuff related to Alison? Yes please! "I'm so in. Can I bring every note she wrote me in high school? I still have them...seriously, I'm a total fucking pack rat." She softens looking at Adum "I missed you too but I get it." She drops her gaze to his hand on the bar and looks like she's thinking of reaching for it but holds back and just smiles sweetly at him instead. As an afterthought she glances at Ryan and smiles more goofily.


Adum smiles.  "You tell me when you can get to Alexandra and that will be the day.  Bring the notes."  he looks at Megan.  "Can I read em?  Anything about me?"  he asked, curious.  "We'll make a night of it."  in his excitement he stands and moves behind Megan putting his arms around her.  "Maybe .... a cake from Earthcakes.  Chili from 10 Alarm?  No ... we'd all wind up with gas.  I'll grill steaks ... or Ryan can.  He's from a family that cooks."  he considers and rests his chin on Megans shoulder like he did in high school.  "It'll be great and I get to purge the last of the demon-cunt from my spirit."  he squeezes Megan slightly in his excitement.


Ryan shakes his head " No methane emissions around fire unless we make it a contest.If you want good food I'll have to steal Garrett. I can make a wicked mac and cheese though...with Siracha and tuna. If we close our eyes it could just be shitty Japanese food."

Megan gulps but then leans back into Adum when his arms go around her and bites her lip, giggling "No reading the notes....purge purge purge....no stopping to read. And you had me at cake....there must be cake." She tilts her head back on Adum's shoulder and makes a face at Ryan's recipe description "Fuck no wonder you're still single....course neither can I much. Tacos...I make tacos...from a box.." she cracks up.


Adum laughs at them, still holding Megan.  "How could I forget that all you got from your Japanese ancestry were the height and the eyes."  he teases.  "I am a GREAT cook."  he brags.  "Steaks.  Hand cut French Fries.  NOT from the box mac and cheese.  But I will get the cake special for you.  What kind do you want?"  he chuckles.  "You can make me tacos some other time, Megan."  he teases her and squeezes her again.  He missed his best friends something awful, he realizes.  "Or I can take you out .. besides the chili bar, there's Greek and Mongolian barbecue."  he pauses.  "If you want to spend te night, I have the space, no question."  neither of them have ever seen his house.  No one has.  Not even Alison.


Ryan finishes his beer and says with a still partial mouthful and a twinkle in his eyes "Jackass."

Megan slides her hands comfortably over Adam's forearms, trying to look casual and not as melty as she feels. She smirks at Ryan "At least I'm not the only one. We should just defect and move in with Chief Chef here. We'll get fat but who cares. No one will barbecue you there unless you're Greek or Mongolian right?"


Adam laughs.  "But I am an HONEST jackass!"  he nods.  "You can move in.  I have plenty of room, especially for you, Megan." and then he nods.  "Great food.  Passable company.  No dead Mongolians or Greeks in the streets of MY island.  No."  he chuckles and turns his head, kissing Megan on the cheek.


Ryan watches his friends and says jokingly "Jesus get a room already." They were like this in high school and never dated and he can't help but smile seeing the old Adum having fun again.

Megan's skin and hair smell like she used the fruity scented bath and body products. It's a blend of strawberry, vanilla and orange. Maybe she just has a daily roll in a vat of yogurt. She feels the kiss on her cheek and giggles and then exhales and has to step away, giving a playful little shove "Careful what you offer. I'm kind of a terrible room-mate...or so my sister says....course she can be a bit of a bitch sometimes."


Adum looks at Ryan and rolls his eyes even as Megan steps away.  Probably a good thing.  She was making him hungry, and .. this was Megan.  Not on the menu.  "I have a three bedroom house with next to no furniture in it.  Take your best shot."  he challenges with a laugh.  he looks at Ryan again.  "OK, Megan.  Ryan here tell me all he does is this, that and run.  You mean no one has snapped up this hunka hunka burning Japenese food lover?"  he arches his brow at Ryan.  "I can cook for four as easy as two.  Just keep the noise down, cause I take my vow of celibacy seriously."


Ryan gives Adum a cheeky look and retorts "Does that mean I can't sing and jack off in your shower? Multitasking for the win right?"

Megan raises a brow "What do you sing? You know, so we know to steer clear for when you might hit the high notes." She turns to Adum "For the record I don't sing..." she trails off chuckling "But I'll confess since you're such a priest about it all. Forgive me Father for I have sinned, and for fuck's sakes I'll do it again tomorrow if I get a chance."


Adum raises both brows at their banter.  "After you hit that high note, rinse everything down the drain so there's no evidence."  he demands and then looks at Megan with a half grin of his own.  "If you sin with me, you'll never have ti sin alone again."  he licked his lips.  "And adding to the record, I will even be burning the very clothes on my back."


Ryan rolls his eyes "Remind me to bring earplugs you horndogs. Hey man, can we set off fireworks around your place?" He asks Adum.

Megan lets her hair fall in front of her face, giggling and out of words to match Adum's latest. For a usually forward woman, she looked positively shy.

Adum blushes slightly and ignores Ryan's first words.  Replying to the second, he replies.  "My house has a fantastic view of a small bay where the fire department sets fireworks off a few times a year.  Killer view.  I can clear it with Captain Stanley, in the firehouse.  He'll probably say yes."  he moves slightly closer to Megan and, silently, places a few fingers on her back to comfort her.  He wonders if hes gone too far for friends, but decides to niggle a little more in Ryans direction.  "Unless you plan to make some with someone?"  Ryan has been avoiding answering his question about a girlfriend or love interest so well, Adum suspected there was SOMEONE.  And it would take some of the 'heat' off he and Megan.  The way she looked ... sweet and shy ... he suddenly wanted her ... and pushed it roughly aside.


Ryan smiled about the fireworks and then shook his head "No women are pounding down my door for my terrible cooking or my singing in the shower. I mean I've got friends.....but nothing to tell..." he trails off thoughtfully and then shrugs "Yeah, that's all."

Megan feels Adum's fingers connect with her back, the warmth of them and the gentle pressure. She unconsciously arches a bit but doesn't pull away. She looks at Ryan "Friends? Or friends with benefits?" she teases.


Adum listens, his hand still on Megans back .. not wanting to let that connection die.  "What she said.  Your a good lookin guy with a steady job in a place you arent likely to get killed.  You may not be able to cook, but your FAMILY does.  SO its fee Sakura for the rest of her life."  he grins,  "Friends with bennies probably has its upside."  he says before realizing that could apply to ... he shoves the annoying thought away again.  It's like a puppy following him around wanting attention.


Ryan addresses them both "Oh shutup you guys. Meg can you grab me another beer? I don't see anyone back there..." he says with a laugh "Guess we're the crowd aside from the pool players."

Megan sighs and then steps reluctantly away from Adum "It's my night off!" she chides flippantly as she bends down towards the beer fridge, her butt sticking out slightly towards them "Adum, you want anything?" she asks while still reaching.


Adum chuckles and leaves off his teasing ... for now.  Megan's leaning over made him swallow.  "Um ... another coke ... thanks."  he orders.  "You know, we can get out of here.  It IS Megans night off.  Take the drinks to go?"  he didnt want to chance Megans having to work when hes not seen her in so long.


Ryan nods "Yeah true, don't open it yet Meg!" he calls over.

Megan nods and then smirks and grabs an armful of beers and two bottles of coke "Let's go drink on the beach, for old times sake? Cept we don't have to hide from the cops...because you are the cops...." She suddenly can't stop laughing "Holy shit are we old?" 


Adum laughs.  "You're right.  But when we were kids, we'd all get drunk.  Now .. older and wiser, you have a build in designated driver."  he smiles and reaches for the armload of beers and soda.  "Here, let me give you a hand."  he hadnt been to the beach in years.  Alison was a tanning salon fan.


As they arrive at the beach Ryan pulls off his shoes and socks, rolls up his jeans and walks up to his ankles into the water. He shivers a bit bit looks otherwise in almost child like delight. As well as running, Ryan loves the ocean, swimming, sailing, kayaking, surfing, and any other water related activity.

Megan stands back watching Ryan and cracks open one of the beers "You look cold."

Adum watches Ryan go into the water and shivers a bit.  He looks at Megan.  "My coat is still in the car, which is still parked in front of the station.  And this."  he plucks at the blue sweater.  "I guess I underestimated the cold for some stupid reason.  Probably just not wanting to really touch any of that shin in the boxes."  he shrugs.  "But yea.  It's this"  he sticks his pinky finger out and bends it to make it look smaller.  "Cold out here and will probably get colder.  But honestly ...  I'm not goin no place."


After a few minutes Ryan looks used to the water and starts casually skipping stones. He looks back and grins at Adum and Megan "Wusses."

Megan watches Adum's finger metaphor and giggles. She calls back to Ryan "You'll get shrinky dink." She had grabbed a thick hoodie from her car as they passed it and she unzips it, shifts her beer to the other hand and pretends to wrap the right side around Adum like a blanket, pressing the side of her body against his.


Giving Ryan the finger, Adum chuckles at Megans words and bent his knees to get under it with her.  "Well, you won't catch me stealing your clothes."  he teases and pulls her a little closer.  "But I will take some of your body heat."  he looks out at Ryan and grins.  "I love this place.  It was always peaceful for me here."  he murmurs.  "Thanks to you." he pulls her close quickly in a one armed hug.


Ryan flicks some of the icy cold ocean water in their direction and smirks.

Megan leans her head on Adum's shoulder and then jumps back with a small shriek when the water hits her.


Adum jumps back with a shriek.  "Jackass."  he shouts, laughing.  "You remember this when Karma give you a cold of something, dude." he backs off , hopefully out of range.  "Damn that waters cold.  My damn balls are behind my lungs!"


Ryan laughs maniacally and then turns to skip another rock.

Megan slides her hand up Adum's back "Nope, not up there, want me to check the other spot?" she teases before saying "OK Ryan you're a freak and we're cold. Adum, where are you staying? The Mariner's? We could go take over your hotel room and rent stupid moves and see if room service will bring us ridiculous stuff....hello I'd like 4 French fries cut in half please...."


Adum chuckles.  "Don't tempt me, woman.  You're my best female friend."  he smiles.  "No, I'm .. at a friends cabin.  Housesitting.  So I am room service.  What can I get you ma'am?"  he slips his hand behind her waist.  Part of him knows he is sending mixed messages.  But his brain sent them first, damnit!


Ryan rolls his eyes at the two of them and walks across the sand from the water. He sits down to use his socks to wipe off his feet before shaking them out and slipping them on. Next come the shoes. He cracks open a beer and takes a big sip and then asks "Who's cabin?"

Megan closes her eyes and smiles, burying the side of her face in Adum's chest "A blanket bellhop."


Adum looks over Megans head to Ryan.  "Your bosses....."  he confesses.  "He wanted it kept hush hush except any lady I brought over."  he sets his hand on the top of Megans head.  she felt so right in his arms.  He felt so conflicted with her in his arms.


Ryan nods as he stands and brushes the sand of the legs and butt of his jeans "Callahan's a pretty private guy. You're house sitting though? Where's he gone to then?"

Megan gave Adum a big mock shove "Any girls you bring back? Have you got a woman in the trunk of your car or something?"


Adum looks at Ryan.  "He went someplace."  he doesnt elaborate.  "I'm just glad to have a bed."  he then looks down at Megan.  "My men seem to be under the impression that two and a half years without sex is stunting my spiritual growth.  So they are hoping I get laid on this trip."  he pauses.  "And I have a lovely lady in my arms ... but would die of the shame of it all being over before I even got undressed."  he shakes his head in mock shame.


Ryan picks up on the look and doesn't press further. He chuckles at Adum's deprivation speech and coughs over saying "Quick Draw McGraw!"

Megan laughs at Ryan and then thinks and her eyes go wide "Two and a half...." she says like it's a death sentence. With a cheeky sigh and smile she says "Well I'll pardon you from impending shame but for the record if a guy has a nervous hair trigger moment, a woman knows she can just wait out that round and jump him again for a longer ride at the fair."


Adum strokes Megans head, then lifts his hand and flips Ryan off.  He hears the tone of disbelief and blinks down at Megan  "I do NOT have a nervous hair trigger."  he sputters.  "I just ...."  he shrugs.  "I'm ...."  he sighs and strokes Megans head again.  "Not ready.  I .. can't just fuck anymore.  I don't know if that makes sense or not but ...."  he sighs and looks over her head to Ryan, almost pleading for some help.  But how would Ryan know?  "Maybe after the bonfire."  he murmurs, lowering his lips to the top of her head.  "I need it all gone before I can be with ANYONE."  he tenses his jaw as the roller coaster takes another plunge.  He clears his throat.  "But if you would do your duty as best female friend and lie your ass off to everyone you meet in Alexandra, I would appreciate it."  he tries to lighten the moment while kicking himself for being so damn wishy-washy.


Ryan looked back at Adum with a level of seriousness that was uncommon for him "I get it. You'll get through man." He sat down on a nearby log and rolled his head to one side until his neck gave a satisfying crack and then gave Adum and Megan a small smile.

Megan wrapped her arms around Adum's waist and gave him a long squeezing hug before stepping back and attempting to take him by the hand over to join Ryan on the log. If Adum allowed it she would steer him to sit between herself and Ryan, completely surrounded by the support of his friends. At the same time she sweetly said "I will dare anyone who questions your abilities to just try and keep up with your prowess. Adum, you just need to work through it. We'll help you...I mean with the working through part..." she chuckles after hoping she wasn't sounding like she was making him an offer to help with the physical side, even if she was considering it.


Adum nodded, accepted the hug from Megan; even returned it.  He sits with them and grins between them.  "Thats very sweet of you, Megan.  And when I am ready, I may take a few practice runs with you."  he holds up his hands.  "Joking!  If I do anything with you, my dear Megan, it will be to make an honest woman out of you."  he winks and then sighs.  "Man ... if you had asked me yesterday, I would have told you I was over Alison, the whoring around, the ... baby."  he tenses his jaw and then relaxes it.  "But I swear I crossed the town line and was looking for her to run over.  Then the boxes of clothes and whatever the fuck else I left behind."  he purses his lips and shakes his head.  "But I think reconnecting with you guys is the right thing to do.  And the bonfire.  Definitely a cleansing bonfire."  he begins to smile.  He didn't know what all was in the boxes, but even if it was a gold brick .... he'd burn it.


Ryan picks up a stick and starts raking the sand into swirling patterns. He was the type of guy who couldn't sit still well for long periods of time. He gave Adum a curious look at his comments to Megan and nodded supportively while darting a look sideways for Megan's reaction.

Megan had started to grin at the practice runs comment, readying another witty retort in her head as it rolled along. When the idea shifted to something more intensely committal, even in jest, her whole body tensed and she hunched her shoulders a bit, letting her hair fall across her face. She was turtling in terror but trying to stay composed. He was upset, talking off the cuff, surely, like the rest of the male population he wasn't interested in her beyond how often she would be willing to screw? Megan knew Adum was different, she always had. Living the lie was almost easier, a smaller distance to fall. Inhaling and forcing her head back up she met both his and Ryan's gaze in turn and said with forced confidence "Burn baby burn."


Adum shifts his eyes, ignoring the look from Ryan.  At Megan's words, he  hugs her.  "Damn right."  he chuckles, and changes the subject slightly.  "I'll give Hank Stanley a call and warn him about the fireworks and bonfire.  And get in touch with Zilpha about your cake.  What kind do you want, Megan?"


Ryan's mouth formed a small whistling O and he turned away and exhaled. He wondered if Adum was tuning into Megan's reactions while he was still eyeball deep in his own pile of crap. He drew connected sets of swirls now in the sand, patterns layering and overlapping and then looked back at Adum and chuckled despite it all.

Megan returned the hug but less enthusiastically than the last one. She kept putting on a confident front and leaned sideways pulling out of the hug, but making it seem playfully "What kinds do they have? I'll jump tall buildings for anything dark chocolate."


Adum watches her pull out of the hug.  "Chocolate, eh?"  he strokes his chin.  "I'll ask for chocolate in it.  Knowing ZIpha she information.  She's an odd duck.  When she custom makes cake, she don't fuck around."  he moves his hand down to hers.  "So,"  and he intentionally looks over to Ryan.  "Before I catch pneumonia ... should we head to the cabin?"


Ryan's eyes go wide "Callahan's cabin? I've never even seen it. That'll be a trip. I'm in. I need a ride though." he says with a snort.

Megan gives Adum's hand a little squeeze "Ok but I have to drop something off to Tams first, and we can't say where we're going...to her.....just you know.... Eryn...she'd get all weird or sad about me going to her old house."


Adum lifted both of his hands.  "You're bucking for a promotion Professor."  he teases Ryan, and then looks at Megan.  "Sure.  How about we take my car?  I'm sure your sister will get a kick of seeing you get out of a police SUV."  he says it with mock innocence.  At least, he figures, she won't worry about her little sister if she knows she is with two cops ... besdes . they'd hung out before ... no biggie.


Ryan rolled his eyes "Oh she'll feel like she's still on shift." He stood up ready to walk to the SUV.

Megan laughed "Yeah maybe Ryan. OK this works out. I have Dad's car so I'll leave it at the bar but we need to get the cat littler from the trunk or I'm in serious shit with Tams. I picked up a stray last week and I'm at her place for awhile. She's not really a cat person...so I need to be on top of this if I don't want her to make me give Sparkles away."


Adum nodded.  "Let's go then."  he looked at Megan.  "Sparkles?  Cute.  Well if it ever becomes an issue, I told you I have space at my place and you know I love cats.  My dad had enough of them."  it isn't clear if he means space at his place for Megan, Sparkles or both of them.


Ryan follows Megan through the just unlocked door of a one bedroom condo in the Poseidon building.  It's clear Megan sleeps on the couch, which has a quilt and a pillow folded at one end. Currently, Tamela sits on it watching TV in a pair of baggy grey sweats and a loose cherry faded tank top over a black racer back sports bra that shows through at the sides and straps. Tamela is a curvier version of Megan with a bit more of their mother's dramatic Spanish facial definition. Her hair is the same dark brown but chin length with a bit more wave.

"Hey Tams." Ryan says cheerfully.

Megan tromps in with a huge bag of litter she refused to let anyone else carry for her up the flights of stairs and slides it to the floor with a "Fwew!" A sweet little calico with sparkling blue eyes comes swishing by Megan's legs and sniffs at the litter bag "That's right, it's for your poops!" she says in a cute little voice to the cat "Gentlemen, this is Sparkles. Oh and Adum you remember Tams...."

Tamela looks tiredly up from the TV and then casually hits pause on her remote. She waves at Ryan "Yamada." and then gives Megan a cheeky look "I'm sure he remembers me. I'm your sister dufus. Hi Adum, or should I say Chief?" She looks down at the cat "Meg it stinks in the bathroom, deal with that shit before you go back out please."


Adum walks in and scans the place.  A habit that has become so ingrained in him, hes barely aware he does it.  He looks at Tamela.  "Please ... unless we're in a police station and I am in uniform, I'm just Adum.  He chuckles and opens his mouth to say more when he feels a sharp pain in his leg.  Glancing down he sees the little cat climbing up his denim clad leg.  He bends down and picks the cat off of him and lifts her up.  "And hello to you, Sparkles." his voice rumbles, a playful purr.  The little cat sniffs at him but isn't fighting him.  He waits to see if Meg is going to clean the cat box ...  Tamela has a valid complaint about the smell.


Ryan watches the cat go to Adum and laughs "Someone likes you." Ryan isn't really much of an animal person but doesn't dislike them either. He looks between Tamela and Megan and waits.

Megan makes an exasperated little noise and kicks off her shoes. She unzips her hoodie and throws it roughly over a kitchen chair as she goes to grab a garbage bag from under the sink "I WAS going to do it in the morning..." she says grumpily. Cleaning has never been her strong point. She drags the litter behind her and heads for the bathroom.

Tamela glares after sister and yells "You want a fucking cat, you clean the fucking box!" Without another word to the guys she clicks the remote and continues watching her show. Although if Tamela were a cartoon, there would be steam coming from her ears.

Megan cleans the litter box as loudly as humanly possible and then emerges with a smelly bag. She steps into her shoes without tying them properly, letting the backs get squished and yanks her sweater back on without zipping it. Seeing the kitty in Adum's arms she walks over and gives Sparkles a scratch under the chin and a kiss on the top of the head and then whispers to the guys "Let's go."


Adum chuckles.  "I'm flattered."  and he is, actually.  He watches the scene unfold and once Megan is done and scratches the cat, he sets Sparkles down and turns to go.  He pauses at the door and checks behind him to see the cat trying to exit too.  "You stay."  he tells it, but has to quickly close the door cause a cat is not a dog.  He goes back to the SUV and gets in behind the wheel.  "Next stop the Hotel Callahan?"


Ryan deferred shotgun and took the back seat saying a quiet "Yep." as he clicked the seat belt together.

Megan crumpled into the front, pulling her hoodie tighter around her as she eased in after taking the litter garbage to the big green bin. After a few moments she said self consciously "Sorry about that guys..."




No comments:

Post a Comment