Cedar Point Role Play

  • Sliding Doors - *Author’s Note:* *Years ago there was a film called Sliding Doors that starred Gwyneth Paltrow about a woman whose life goes in different but parallel dire...

Friday, April 8, 2016

Doctors, Accidents and Tours

Michael Reinhardt walks into the clinic, a scowl on his face and a hand at his temple. He looks around as if not totally sure who he should be speaking to.

Adam Pierson: Hi welcome to Cedar Point's clinic, How can I help you?

Michael Reinhardt glances down and tightens his jaw visibly. "I was bitten by a raccoon and got the first of the vaccinations two days ago. But my head is still pounding, my muscles ache and I haven't been able to keep much down since before I was bitten."

Adam Pierson: "Hmm, okay. why don't you follow me into the exam room."

Adam Pierson: "Okay first let's get a little medical info into the computer. Have you been here before?"

Michael Reinhardt follows the doctor with a slight growl of annoyance and sigh of exasperation. "No, I haven't. I probably should have driven back to Vancouver, where I live, but I just ... listen. I'm a Cedar Point police officer and my boss doesn't know I am here. I want to KEEP it that way. Understood?" he makes it sound ALMOST like a question.

Adam Pierson makes a little moue of annoyance, "Rabies is a serious condition, and can be very contagious. If not treated properly, it can be fatal. You wouldn't want to wish that on anyone else, would you?"

Michael Reinhardt looks evenly at the doctor. "Thats why we went, lights and sirens to the White Rock emergency room when it HAPPENED, doctor." he sits and keeps his fingers on is temple. "We began the series, took two days off and went back to work on Tuesday. But this headache is annoying me. I ma be in a bad mood but I'm not tempted t BITE anyone.

Adam Pierson looks a bit amused. "Have you tried any over the counter medicines for the headache?"

Michael Reinhardt pinches the bridge of his nose. "I've been taking Tylenol like they were M&M's. Actually that may be why I am in a constant state of wanting to throw up. Might be Nault to, but ... it's a toss up."

Adam Pierson: "Alright, when's the last dose of Tylenol? And I do need to examine you, just to make sure it's a reaction from the shots. Good news, I can give you something for the nausea too, and a stronger pain killer, just different."

Michael Reinhardt considers and looks at his watch. "Three. And before that was One. And around noon, I threw up on Nault. That was bad cause it was an attempt to eat something mild. Just some rice from the Chinese restaurant and ...." he shakes his head. "I had an examine in Vancouver before I took this job." he begins to protest, showing the first signs of being a man who is not happy with doctors. "Know what. Never mind. As long as my bosses don't find out."

Adam Pierson: "Here's the thing about your bosses finding out. One, all your medical expenses are worker's compensation. Two, they should be understanding, it happened on the job.

Adam Pierson: ok hop up on the table, let's make sure this is just a reaction to the shots.

Michael Reinhardt rolls his eyes and stands, rolling is eyes again and steadying himself. "A job I have had barely two weeks. Low man on the totem pole and I am god damned if I am going back to VPD." he slips off his coat and squares his shoulders. "Lets do this." hes had the first in a series of rabies shots. He figures he can handle this. He tosses his jacket in the chair he was just in and hops on the table

Adam Pierson looks into the officer's eyes, has him open his mouth, then listens to his heart and his breathing. "Abdominal shots? Any unusual redness, swelling or pain around the injection area?"

Michael Reinhardt allows the poking AND the prodding. "Yes and no." he grumbles.

Adam Pierson: "Good, so far it looks like just a stronger reaction to the shots. I'll give you a prescription for ibuprofen, and something for the nausea. Also, try ginger ale for the nausea."

Michael Reinhardt nods and looks relieved. "Sure thing, Doctor." he begins to slide off the table, ready and willing to go home now.

Adam Pierson: "Would you like me to change the bandage for you?"

Adam Pierson: Dr. Pierson asks, then writes out the two prescriptions. "You can have those filled next door."

Michael Reinhardt stops and sighs, holding out his bandaged left hand. "Go for it." he figures why not.

Adam Pierson very carefully takes the current bandage off, cleans the wound quickly, and re-applies the bandage with a more waterproof bandage. "If you want, you can come in here for the rest of the shots."

Michael Reinhardt looks around the clinic. "Let me think on that one, doc. Ryan and I both have appointments in White Rock so ...."

Adam Pierson: "Okay. Hopefully this will not be a rabid raccoon, just a mother or a very hungry raccoon."

Adam Pierson: "Alright, do not mix the Advil and the Tylenol. And come back if you don't get any relief for the headache."

Michael Reinhardt snorts. "As long as it doesn't bite anyone else. Maybe its already crawled off and died on its own." he listens to the instructions so he can say he did and nods. "Gotcha." he pauses. "Let me guess .... Its gonna be like this for the whole damn SERIES, isn't it?"

Adam Pierson: "It may be, it may not. It depends on how your body adjusts."

Michael Reinhardt scoffs. "So far I'm adjusting badly ... but .. considering no one survives rabies .. its better than just riding it out."

Adam Pierson: "It can take a bit, rather like a flu shot in some people. Precisely."

Michael Reinhardt shakes his head. "Oh ... terrific." he pauses and seems to consider. "Well, at least I got to puke on Nault. That ALMOST makes it worth it."

Adam Pierson chuckles. "Ginger ale, and the second prescription ought to help that."

Michael Reinhardt offers up a grin that is JUST the side of pure evil. "As long as Nault doesn't know that ....." he nods. "Thanks. Pay on my way out, right?"





Michael Reinhardt is leaning against the building, waiting apparently

Adam Pierson: "Good bye." Adam says as he returns the bow.

Oshi Shikigami: Good afternoon, officer Reinhard? yes? Oshi smiles and bows slightly.

Michael Reinhardt sees the little woman walking out of the clinic. "Miss S!" he calls and nods. "That's me .. you caught me in civilian clothes." he looks at the clinic and then back at her .. and that ... dress ... "You alright, Miss S?"

Oshi Shikigami: LOL I hope you not incognito? It's Shikigami, or you may call me Oshi, everyone else does :-)

Michael Reinhardt nods at her. "No, I am waiting on a prescription. i .. got bit on Saturday so ..." he shrugs. "And i botched your name so badly I think i will stick to Oshi. As long as you call me Michael. Deal?  As long as I'm not on duty, of course"

Oshi Shikigami: Just here to get my booster shot for rabies. I had the whole series done about five years ago, though, so this was not all that bad this time... And Michael, I am sorry to hear you got bit! Oh my! But at least you did get the shots, No fun, but better than not.

Michael Reinhardt nods. "I'm not taking them too well, either." he admits. "Headache. nausea. haven't been able to hold much of anything down since before I saw you on Saturday, as a matter of fact." he admits. "So I have a script for my head and my stomach. then a long drive home."

Oshi Shikigami: Perhaps, I should loan you one of my Kendo sticks, like this one I have, to hold off any raccoon attack! Oshi pulls out her stick from its attachment on her gown. And shows him it in a not provocative manner.

Michael Reinhardt laughs lightly. "It's WAY too late for that, Oshi." he looks at the stick tho, considering its legality. "What does it .. do?" he asks.

Oshi Shikigami: Well, if you are too ill to drive, you may come to my place for a bit until you feel better enough to do so safely? Oshi points to the building, second floor, and says my place is right there, so it would be no problem, if you think it might help?  Oh it is a traditional martial arts from Japan. we use this wooden and blunted swords to train with, even school children learn it in gym class at school.

Michael Reinhardt blinks a bit at the offer .. and at his question being ignored. "I should be fine. I'm gonna pick up the script, take a dose and maybe see if clear soup will stay down. Then I should be able to drive home." he smiles as she DOES answer he question. So ... you beat raccoons with it?" he asks bemused.

Oshi Shikigami: When she sees his look at the stick, she thinks and then it looks like something occurs to her... Um, I hope it is OK to carry this when I need? I was told there was no problem in bringing it to Canada. And I guess I just assumed it would be OK to take with me,? She now looks a bit unsure.

Michael Reinhardt arches is brow. "I have to look it up." he admits. "It looks like it could be used to hurt someone, but so can a baseball bat." he considers. "Do me a favor and keep it under wraps unless yo REALLY need it. It's illegal to kill the raccoons, I'm sorry to say at this point I'm still mad at the one who bit me. But that ... who knows."

Oshi Shikigami: Well, not here, not yet. At least. But was just trying to be safe, and if someone else, who had no training with wild animals, was being attacked I could help them too. I have done animal rescue before, in Japan. I even helped capture a runaways Komodo dragon once. That being a reason for the shots…  Ah yes, well If used properly, you can strike just to stun, or scare, no permanent damage, Oshi tucks the stick away, and it almost disappears.

Michael Reinhardt nods, fascinated. "I wont run you in. Just don't hit any HUMANS in the head, which can cause anything from deafness to death." although she looks so small, he has to wonder. "What about self defense? May not work on a raccoon or a cat, but it ma help with a human." he pauses. "Do the offer an self defense classes here in town?"

Oshi Shikigami: I have been looking for a dojo here in town, but no luck so far. And when we spar with kendo, we wear head gear, but it would still be dishonorable to be striking about the head when sparing.

Michael Reinhardt nods. "Well theres a YMCA in Vancouver I KNOW ... and maybe in White Rock." he looks at her "If you are in a situation where you are going to be assaulted, I think worrying about your opponents honor isn't always wise."

Oshi Shikigami: DO the police have any training, or sparing in self defense? I guess that would not be open to civilians though?

Michael Reinhardt smiles. "Exactly, but there are community centers that would teach that sort of thing. Cedar Point is safe, but its not an isolated island or anything." he sighs. "Forgive me, Oshi. I'm a big city cop. That means I'm more than a little paranoid."

Oshi Shikigami: I have found the best defense is just to be aware. TO always know what and who are around you, and what they may have in mind. But to prevent, it is still the best defense. But if necessary, It is wise to know how to defend oneself. Oshi Shikigami: When I was at university in Toronto, I did get some formal training.

Michael Reinhardt nods. "I would probably go off the deep end and say assume everyone is dangerous, unless you know them. Always look like you know where you are going, even if you don't and learn to use the most mundane things as a weapon. Your cousin could learn a thing or two about what her house keys can do." he grins.

Oshi Shikigami: I have been looking for some formal training for Tatsu, I have not really seen anything that is suitable yet. But If you find out about any close by do let me know?

Michael Reinhardt nods. "I will, but her formal training may not be a match for down and dirty street fighting. Her aim is to get away from her attacker. Using her feet, fingers, knees and elbows. What would be suitable?" he wonders.

Oshi Shikigami: Indeed you are correct.

Michael Reinhardt looks at her. "Look at us. I have to outweigh you by a hundred kilos. And I am quite a bit taller than you. Your cousin.. the odds are MORE uneven. But she could put me down long enough to run away. Find a cop or get home." he smiles. "Think about it. A class in the city may help."

Oshi Shikigami: Oh, And I did give her a REAL loud whistle too! LOL

Michael Reinhardt points a finger at her "Good thinking!" he says, impressed

Oshi Shikigami: Silly me I am holding you up form getting things done, and you aren't even feeling well! Oshi seems surprised at herself for makes such a mistake. She blushes and smiles, and does a quick bow and says Do let me know If I can help though?

Michael Reinhardt smiles/. "I guess I am NEVER really off-duty." he admits. "I'd better get my script. I think things will blow over. But if you can help, I will have them contact you."

Oshi Shikigami: And if you can, try some green tea, it is good for an unsettled stomach...

Michael Reinhardt nods. "I will, thanks." he smiles and turns waving over his shoulder. "Take care, Oshi."

Oshi Shikigami: Oshi give a peace sign flash to him, giggles a little and heads off to her home.





Mayor Shirley Douglas strolls confidently down the street nodding and smiling to those she passes with the odd "Evening." and "Oh yes the flowers are in bloom aren't they dear? So lovely." She is about to pass the redheaded man and she smiles at him too "Hello." she greets like he's an old friend.

Michael Reinhardt walks down he street with the white bag of pharmaceuticals in his hand, peering inside as he walks almost blindly. He hears the greeting but assumes it isn't for him and he isn't watching where he is going so he may well bump into her.

Mayor Shirley Douglas backs up and puts her hands gingerly on the man's arm trying to steer him away from crashing into her "Young man, do be careful. I'm no spring chicken."

Michael Reinhardt blinks and comes out of the bag to see hes nearly run a little old lady down in the street. Mama would be ashamed of him. "Oh, Jesus I'm sorry Ma'am." he apologizes profusely and then looks at her blinking. "Wait ... you're ... you mayor ... Douglas?" he groans. "I am SO fired." he reaches up to pinch the bridge of his nose, as if fighting off a headache.

Mayor Shirley Douglas laughs "I don't think you work for City Hall do you? And you'd have to do more than be clumsy. What's your name....and are you quite alright?"

Michael Reinhardt lowers his hand. "Well, ma'am. I do, sort of." he sighs and offers his hand. "Officer Michael Reinhardt, Cedar Point Police Department." he clears his throat. "And no .. not really. I'm having a bad reaction to .. well .. rabies shots. I got bit on Saturday." he confesses.

Mayor Shirley Douglas shakes his hand "Nice to meet you Officer Reinhardt. Goodness what a welcome you got to our little town. You and Officer Yamada if I remember correctly? Those are nasty shots."

Michael Reinhardt shakes her hand. "Yes. Ryan Yamada. We went into white Rock for the shots and both wound up staying in the hotel there." he motions across the street. "Neither of us was up to driving .. and I still live in Vancouver. Well... I am still having headaches and nausea. This." he holds up the bag that almost caused him to run her down. "Is the cure." he says it with the air of a magician offering a cure.

Mayor Shirley Douglas looks at the bag and then gestures at the coffee shop "Come with me Dear. Let's get you something to wash those down with."

Michael Reinhardt smiles and opens the door, noticing the bakery he has never been to yet. "Thank you ma'am. But I CAN pay ... " he offers.

Mayor Shirley Douglas walks in and smiles as all the bakery staff turn their attention to her "Good evening. Not a raccoon in sight. You all must be keeping the garbages well sealed. Could I get two ginger mint teas to go please? One for my handsome young friend..." she giggles at Michael.

Michael Reinhardt actually blushes and seems rendered slightly speechless as the chef looks him up and down as if disapproving of the May/December romance.

Mayor Shirley Douglas takes the teas and hands one to Micheal "Here. This'll help. Damn doctors put me on iron pills and sometimes it's the only thing I can stomach." She pulls a ten out of her pocket and begins to hand it to the clerk.

Michael Reinhardt takes the tea. "Ma'am, I really CAN pay you .. and you'd be paying ME back.. with my first paycheck." he sounds almost pleading. Bu now both of his hands are full so he places his meds on the counter.

Mayor Shirley Douglas laughs "Oh my dear boy. You've had a hell of a first week. Let me buy you a cup of tea. Now take your pills so all our officers are accounted for this week. We may need you all if the town decides to riot over the side effects of those shots."

Michael Reinhardt sighs and shrugs. She had a point. He sets the tea down and reaches in for his pills, taking the prescribed amount and then crumpling the bag up and shoving it in his pocket like an errant ten year old. He swallows the pills dry and blows on the tea, taking a cautious sip. He raises his brows. "This is pretty good. Thank you, Mayor Douglas." he sort of feels like a little boy proving to his mother he took the pills.

Mayor Shirley Douglas gives him an approving look and then takes her change from the clerk who has many facial piercings with a polite smile "Thank you Jane, have a good evening. And my best to your mother." She looks back at Michael "I was going to continue my walk. You're welcome to join me if you don't need to lie down. Some sea air might help."

Michael Reinhardt nods. "I would love to join you." he tells her. "And I don't really .. lie down very well. My mother always threatened four point restraints." A good Irish woman. "She has that Irish temper thing down."

Mayor Shirley Douglas laughs "That explains the red hair. Off we go then."

Michael Reinhardt chuckles and holds the door for her to exit. "Yes. I have her hair and eyes. My father is German .. straight from ze Fadderland." he chuckles. :He still has such a heavy accent we just speak German around him." he smiles.

Mayor Shirley Douglas nods "Well I'm probably one of the last of my people around this area..." she cuts off and looks in the middle of the road "Who's scooter is that? Is it stalled?"

Michael Reinhardt arches his brows. "Last of the line or ... Native?" he looks at the scooter. "Thats the sushi chef's scooter I think someone has been joyriding." he sighs and jogs out, motioning to the cars to stop and pushes it onto the sidewalk. "One moment ma'am." he pulls his phone out and sends a text. "The station can call him. He's registered. "

Mayor Shirley Douglas waits and looks relieved "Well I'll take teenage hooligans over raccoons this week. Thank you Officer Reinhardt."

Michael Reinhardt chuckles. "I will to. You know .. we don't get this problem where I was in Vancouver. Place called the Devils Kitchen, if you ever heard of it." if she has it was nothing good.

Mayor Shirley Douglas shakes her head and gestures they cross and walk some more "No I can't say I have. I lived in Vancouver in my university days but never came across that. "

Michael Reinhardt shakes his head. "It's alright. It's the worst neighborhood in Vancouver. Drugs, prostitution, murder, rape ... I was going to burn out .. so I came here." he laughs lightly. "And get attacked by a maybe rabid raccoon." he shakes his head in disbelief. "But really ... I like it here . ti really IS relaxing. At least the raccoon didn't try and get my gun or steal my wallet."

Mayor Shirley Douglas snorts "No they tend to get carded at the liquor mart so why bother eh?" She keeps walking and stops by the soccer filed. A practice is going on and the parents are all hovering and looking nervously at the woods. Shirley smiles at a few of them and it seems to give them a boost of confidence. A boy in goal dives and makes a spectacular save and Shirley cheers "Way to go Luke!"

Michael Reinhardt chuckles and watches the soccer game with her. He smiles and nods at the save. "Yea, this really IS a nice place." he says almost to himself. "Be nice when I finally get a place."

Mayor Shirley Douglas "Yes you said you had to stay at the hotel because home is far?" She starts towards Chens but not with the intent to go in, just walk by.

Michael Reinhardt nods. "Yes ma'am. In Vancouver still. My parents live there. My brother lives on an island called Alexandra. I just really don't want to be in the big city anymore." he admits glancing in Chen's window as a small pack of teen girls walk by giggling and looking at him.

Mayor Shirley Douglas looks at Micheal after and smiles "You have some admirers. Yes I've heard of Alexandra, been there even but not for many years. Nice place." Michael Chen walks out of the grocery store and pushes a few carts into the racks and then cheerfully waves across to the mayor. She waves back before walking to the waterfront "That's our other Michael. Have you met him? So the opposite of his sister Ushi."

Michael Reinhardt blinks and then blushes. "They're a little young, Ma'am. I'm thirty." he nods. "My brother likes it well enough." he shakes his head. "Not yet. Ryan .. Officer Yamada mentioned him. He was calling me Mike ... which ... normally I hate, but after we've been attacked by the same psychotic raccoon ... he can call em Shirley Douglas if it makes him happy."





Mayor Shirley Douglas laughs "Oh I don't think he would. I've known all the Yamada kids since they were born, well they're hardly kids now. Forgive an old lady. That Ryan is such a dear, showed me how to work the Twitter on my iPhone one say. I didn't really understand what he was telling me but it was nice of him to try. Everything's on the Twitter now isn't it? Do you use it?" She breathes in the salty air for a few minutes, not walking yet as the waves crash on the wall of the public walkway.

Michael Reinhardt smiles at the idea of her doing anything with "the Twitter". "Seems so. I actually moved a way from all of that when I got divorced." he watches her. "So .. Ryan as a kid? Interesting. Did he get in a lot of trouble with his little gang of friends? Oh wait, that was me." he winks and inhales deeply. Even the air smelled different here.

Mayor Shirley Douglas smiles "Oh they were a bunch of rascals. Ryan and his little friend Adum, they ran wild with my grand niece, Megan. Adum's actually from Alexandra, their Chief and Police now. And Jack tells me he and Megan have quite the romance going on. Ah to be young and in love! Never take it for granted Officer Reinhardt. Is there a missus?"

Michael Reinhardt laughs. "Well, that's something else." he sighs at her question. "I used to be .. we were married three years and been divorced for two years now. She was ... having quite the romance with several other men." he shrugs. "I don't know if I'll ever try that again. marriage. I wanted kids but .. in hindsight ..." he shrugs again and stares out to sea.

Mayor Shirley Douglas muses "Well that's only round one dear. I've been married three times. First one drank and gambled all our money away so I left him. The second one was one of my anthropology professors - quite the scandal! At least I was a mature student and not a sweet young thing. We had a daughter, Roberta, she's in Nova Scotia now. Elliot decided one day he preferred men and moved in with one of his colleagues. We're still friends. Then years later I married Eddy. The cancer got him about ten years ago. You're still young....love, and kids could still happen."

Michael Reinhardt hears her stories, wincing a bit at the gay husband. "Maybe. And maybe I'll be a better person here." he looks at her. "The only time I've ever heard a siren here ... like ten days or so ... was when Ryan was driving us out of town because of the bites. I've ... never gone a DAY before without hearing sirens." it still stuns him. "The city makes people dark. makes MEN dark."

Mayor Shirley Douglas thinks on this "Could be. Although any place will make you dark if you don't let in the light. We're not immune to that here, but I think a sense of community does help people."

Michael Reinhardt nods and looks towards the docks. "Could be. I had my family but my brother and I are a dozen years apart, so in a way he was like ... grown to me." he pauses. "Do you know where I could live here?" he suddenly asks. "I don't want a house. An apartment .. maybe a condo. But here ... I don't now .. this building here." he motions behind him. "It's too ... bright and quiet?" he laughs. "Ruin my brooding German reputation for sure."

Mayor Shirley Douglas chuckles "Hard to brood with this view. There's some little bachelor pads over the shops on main. You could definitely sulk in those. And the same landlord is renovating the lofts above Jack's bar. Jack is my nephew. He runs the Black Hole. I'm actually a silent partner but it's his area. Bit loud for my liking nowadays. But if you like rock music you might not mind living over it. There's a laundromat and the pizza place right below as well."

Michael Reinhardt chuckles. "Well, a bachelor pad would probably make me feel all confined." but he listens to the rest. "I DO like music." he admits. "With food and clean clothes all int he same building. Thats the high life for me." he smiles. "Although I've heard that bar can get rather rowdy. But maybe if its known a cop loves over it .... that may calm things down." he pauses. "I dunno ... just heard something about hurricane Alison?" he shrugs. before his time.

Mayor Shirley Douglas's usual sweet face sours into a huge scowl "That woman is deeply disturbed. She nearly gave Jack a concussion for trying to prevent her from drinking and driving. She's not from this town, and she's not welcome here as far as I'm concerned."

Michael Reinhardt notes the change and nods. "No ... I can imagine not. But .. I am not sure you can ban someone from a town. Even if that woman is trying to make it happen." he suddenly cocks his head. "Hey! It's working. My head doesn't hurt and I no longer feel like throwing up." hes been sipping at his tea and loving it. Man ... I'm tempted to eat. I better not .. I threw up on Cody Nault at lunch today. Rice from the Chinese joint .. its probably alright but .. " he sighs. "And I have another shot scheduled soon." he sounds like he is dreading it.

Mayor Shirley Douglas sighs "I know we can't ban her but that doesn't mean I have to like her. I know I'm being defensive because she hurt Jack." She looks like she's trying not to laugh about Cody "Constable Nault. Such and eager boy.....poor thing." It's hard to tell but there might be a tiny hint of sarcasm in her tone "Maybe best to just stick with the tea for awhile."

Michael Reinhardt grins. "Well, I DID apologize." he nods. "Yea .. thats probably best. But it all smells so GOOD." and he laughs.

Mayor Shirley Douglas points her stride again down the pathway "That's all part of the healing. You could probably eat by tomorrow. Have you been on the whale watching tour?"

Michael Reinhardt nods. "Patience .. right." he shakes his head. "Honestly, this is the longest I have been in town and OFF duty since the twenty-eighth when I started. And since no one needed a cop ...." he shrugs.

Mayor Shirley Douglas thinks "Might not be good for the nausea to add seasickness just yet, but later, it's a lovely tour. They come with up to the boat." She passes the clinic and then stops at the bike rack.

Michael Reinhardt nods. "Another good point. I'll be good. I promise." he looks at the bike rack. A good place for exercise.

Mayor Shirley Douglas pats one of the bikes on the seat "This was one of the best things the council came up with in recent years. Take a bike and just park at at the next rack after using it. Remarkably we've only lost 4 to theft in 2 years."

Michael Reinhardt looks at the rack and blinks. "Seriously?" he sounds honestly stunned, but not at the plan. "Only four bikes in two YEARS?"

Mayor Shirley Douglas grins "I know. Of course they're not top of the line but they'll get you from A to B."

Michael Reinhardt sighs. "I've seen bikes stolen for RUSTY parts." he sighs. "It's like I transfered to ... The Twilight Zone."

Mayor Shirley Douglas nods and smiles to an elderly Chinese couple as they pass by "We have a lot of eyes out and about all the time. I can see this rack from the boardroom upstairs." she gestures to the second floor of City Hall. And it's across from the station. The ones that were taken were from the alley way by the B&B, bit of a blind spot but still busy. But yes, we're nothing like Vancouver. I don't even think everyone locks their doors here."

Michael Reinhardt shakes his head and nods at the couple. "That must be where Mr F ... Eien .. is parking that bike of his." he ponders. "If he moves it .... or just gets a car. Might solve all his problems." he looks at the station. "No officers dying int he line of duty here." he muses, softly .. as if hes known officers who have died .. at least one.

Mayor Shirley Douglas shrugs "Oddly Micheal, the most dangerous thing in this town......are the quakes. You're going to think it's crazy, because it is, but seismologists can't explain it. What's a small quake for the rest of the area, hits hard here. We've lost a lot of people..."

Michael Reinhardt nods. "I suppose thats .. I don't know. I'm not calling you a liar. Then again, I have only been here a week and a half." he admits. "And don't know a lot about earthquakes. Are they really that bad?"

Mayor Shirley Douglas looks intensely at him and then beckons him across the street "Let's visit the cemetery. It might be easier to explain there."

Michael Reinhardt nods and moves with her to the cemetery. A place he has not yet really visited except to walk around it. he enters and looks around the place, almost nervously.

Mayor Shirley Douglas gestures around "Not everyone in here was taken by a quake." She waves towards the graves to her left "These are all from the wars....but many of the others have nothing buried, no remains, just a headstone so the families can mourn." She takes a walk to a specific grave, indicating he should follow.

Michael Reinhardt follows her, looking and yet not looking at the graves. He joins her and looks down at the grave.

Mayor Shirley Douglas says matter of factly but softly "Your Chief's daughter. Such a lovely girl. She was so gifted at sports. Her friends keep these candles lit every day. You work with one of them, my niece, Tamela. They were to be married..."

Michael Reinhardt looks down at the grave. "I didn't know the Chief HAD a daughter." he admits, quietly. "I've seen Tams in here but .. you know .. you don't pry."

Mayor Shirley Douglas nods sadly "Nearly broke her, all of them. You may have seen a red haired woman with Tams, Anna and then of course Ryan's sister Stephanie. The four of them were as thick as thieves all through school. Anna is Eryn's cousin. Wright is her last name, Beale her mother, they have mausoleums those families....many fell through the cracks for them..." She walks back to the center and points to two mausoleums.

Michael Reinhardt follows her, pretty quietly. "How long ago was this?" he asks, keeping his voice soft. Looking only where she points his eyes TO look.

Mayor Shirley Douglas "Well Eryn Callahan was 2011. Of course there was a big quake 3 years back. Lost a few then. Jack lost his wife when his girls were young." She walks to a stone with roses inset on it and the name Isabella Douglas nee Herrera and stands in front of it sighing.

Michael Reinhardt looks at the stone. and nods. "This is a very cared for place." he murmurs.

Mayor Shirley Douglas nods "No one to bury is the hardest thing. The closure, you never get it..." she smiles "I don't want to depress you. This is just one of the odd things about the town."

Michael Reinhardt shakes his head. "I'm not depressed." he replies. "But ... yea ... closure s important I've heard." he takes in a deep breath. "Any other odd stories for me, Mayor?" he asks, is voice light almost joking.

Mayor Shirley Douglas laughs "Oh I'm sure you'll get your fair share at the station. I should go home and feed Cocoa, my dog. I've been keeping her inside away from raccoons. She's getting annoyed but better safe than sorry."

Michael Reinhardt chuckles and nods. "Fair enough." he agrees. "Don't keep her in TOO long .. she may be worse than the raccoons."

Mayor Shirley Douglas walks down the last row " I do let her in the yard during the day and I've been taking her to the office so she's amused. This one's a bit neglected. Our town's most brilliant archivist, Harley Bell. He could find any document in a heartbeat.." she pats the raised stone coffin style grave "Rather extravagant for an empty..."

Michael Reinhardt is walking towards the neglected grave listening. His step slows when the word archivist comes out of the mayors mouth. He stumbles and drops to his knees, reaching out. The stone coffin stops his fall. His remaining tea falls from the cup. He stares at the stone and the name. "I'm ... I'm ... I'm sorry." the pale redhead pales more.

Mayor Shirley Douglas looks down at Michale in concern "Oh goodness dear. I've tired you out. Harley and I weren't close, though I did love his work. I think you need to get some rest Michael. I'm so sorry to have dragged you on such a long walk."

Michael Reinhardt nods, slowly. "Yes. I .. I guess those pills working gave me that false sense of security. It's not your fault. It's mine." he gets to his feet. "I'm sorry Mayor. But ... You're right I had better get on home." he looks at the stone and turns to face her. "Thank you for this." he says. "I feel this town is where I belong now. Raccoons or no raccoons." he laughs nervously.

Mayor Shirley Douglas smiles "Well I'm glad to hear it. Thank you for letting me ramble on. I really just wanted the town to see me out and about so the fear calms down. There won't be a raccoon on every rood top waiting to get them after all. We just need to be vigilant. You take care Michael. I'm going to head home as well."

Michael Reinhardt smiles. "Let me at least walk you home?" he offers. he isn't letting a little old lady go on her own.

Mayor Shirley Douglas points at the roof top across the street "Alright, since it's right there." she laughs.

Michael Reinhardt looks and laughs. "Good. If my mother found out I let you walk home alone, even spry as you are, she'd put me in that empty grave." he quips as they walk. Then he sees her to her door. "You take care, Mayor." he will see her in the door then turn and move across the street, staring at the archivists grave for a long time before he moves off towards his car and home.

Mayor Shirley Douglas replies "You too dear." as she gets out her key. A little yappy dog starts up inside and she murmurs "Mummy's coming Cocoa." as the door opens and she steps in.



No comments:

Post a Comment